The sound of our near and dears
Ear infection sucks
So don’t let it get stuck
Feed best food to your pal
And keep clean his ear canal
What is ear infection in dogs? Or rather, what leads to ear infection in dogs? They do not occur unexpectedly. The reason of aural infections in your furry pals may be due to allergies or an underlying disease. Allergies though, are the leading causes of infections. Allergies are highly triggered due to food ingredients that the doggies can no longer intake. The ingestion of certain foods like beef, dairy, wheat, lamb etc can lead to sudden itching and scratching of the dog’s ears. Apart from food allergies, allergens like pollens, grasses, dust particles, insects, house cleaning products etc. that can directly contact the pet’s skin, eyes, nose and ears.
The underlying causes that can contribute to the building of ear infection in the pooch’s ears can be increased moisture rate, the structure of the ears i.e. they are floppy, which does not allow enough air to get in, ear mites, low immunity and certain breeds have narrow ear canals, which can inhibit ear infections.
The common symptoms that depict the presence of ear infection in pets are:
- Head shaking
- Tilting the head
- Excessive scratching on the ear
- Waxy or liquid discharge from the ears
- Red swelled ears
- Bad odour
Various remedies that can be applied to improve your dog’s ear health and get rid of infections are:
- Coconut Oil: It acts as a great anti-bacterial and anti-fungal component that can be administered to the pooches in their infected ears. On applying the solution made with coconut oil 2-3 times a day the infection will start to diminish and it will clean the entire ear with the quality to protect the dog’s ears from future infections.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: An effective and potent solution to eliminate all the fungus and bacteria present in the pooch’s ears and get rid of the infection. It is also an excellent ear cleaner and removes the dirt and debris from the dog’s floppy ears.
- Grain-free diet: It is observed that in many cases, grain-free diet helped the doggies in combating with the ear infections especially yeast infections. Mostly by eliminating grains and having a proper care and cleaning for the pet’s ears is a great combination to avoid ear infections. Grain free diet like Applaws It’s All Good Adult Small / Medium Breed Dog Food, Hill’s Ideal Balance Grain Free Natural Chicken & Potato Recipe Adult Canine Dry are recommended diet food for the canine pals.
- Regular Cleaning: Proper removal of wax and debris from the pooch’s ears with the best ear cleaning solution is advisable for all the dog-parents. Gently clean the dog’s ears and never ever use Q-Tips to clean their ears. Various ear cleaning solutions that may be helpful and effective are Ilium Ear Drops, Epi-Otic and so on.