Guidelines To Follow While Giving Treats and Snacks to your Kitty

VS-Kitty

Cat owners love pampering their kitties with treats and affection. But have you ever thought whether these treats are having adverse effects on your kitty’s health? Yes; it is true. Your kitty can develop weight problems just like human beings. Hence, it is very important to give these treats in moderation to her. In fact, veterinarians in our country have recommended that cat treats should not add up to more than 10% of total calories eaten by cats. The rest 90% needs to come from a high-quality nutritionally complete cat food.

Hence, it is very important to decipher the food labels with precision as it can mean a lot to your feline’s health. If you are looking to give healthy treats to your kitty then look at these guidelines given below:

Moderation Is The Key

Just like human beings, cats develop a taste for treats which makes them evade their food in lieu of these delicacies. Hence, it is important to give these treats in moderation by offering them no more than two or three times in a week.

Try And Avoid Giving People Food As Much As Possible

Cat food contains requisite vitamins, minerals and amino acids that are necessary for their overall health while people food does not have the right quantity of these things. Hence, it is important to try and avoid giving people food to your kitty. If she cannot resist you can give her small bits of cheese or cooked tuna, chicken, fish or liver. You can even give her milk on an occasional basis, but if she is lactose tolerant then it can cause diarrhea in her.

Never Give Food That Are Toxic For Your Feline

Grapes, raisins, alcohol, salt, onions and tea are some of the things that are toxic for your kitty. If you are unsure whether it is safe or not, consult with your veterinarian before giving it to her.

Discourage Begging

Never give treats to your kitty when you are sitting at the dinner table or when she asks for it because that will encourage her to beg.

Give Cat Treats for Fun And Fitness

Train your kitty to do agility exercises or tricks by exercising her brain and body with the help of treats. This can be an entertaining task for indoor cats.

Say Sorry For Conducting Tasks That Your Kitty Does Not Like By Giving Her Treats

Once you are done with activities not liked by your feline encompassing tooth brushing, dose of a treatment, or claw trimming give her a treat. This can go a long way in soothing her after she has been forced to do something unpleasant.

Never Use Cat Treats In Lieu of Love And Affection

Cats do not have many needs. They just need healthy diet, safe home and loving attention. It is very easy to think that handful of treats will create the same bond as a stroke or a cuddle, but never replace physical contact like petting, holding and playing with a treat.

Share
Contact Us :
1-300-838-787 (Mon - Fri 9AM - 7PM AEST)
support@VetSupply.com.au
© 2017 VetSupply.com.au - All Rights Reserved