Everything You Wanted to Know About Feeding Raw Diet to Your Pooch
There has been a divided opinion about feeding raw food diet to dogs. There is a section of dog owners who are of the opinion that raw diet is the way to feed their dog since it makes their pooch’s coat shiny, assisting in medical issues and keeping them young thereby extending their lives.
While others claim that it can lead to serious health problems for dogs. But the truth is something that is between both these things. Hence, it is very important to have a close look at the pros and cons of feeding raw food to the dog:
- Assists in better digestion, making it easy for the innate raw food to pass through easily
- Chewing the raw bones helps the process of cleaning teeth and gums
- Enhances the energy levels of the pooch
- Great to make the breath of the dog feel fresh
- Improves disposition
- Makes the coat and skin of the dog healthier
- Raw dog food has very low levels of carbohydrates, which is often the case that leads to food allergies and digestive issues
- Since there are no fatty grains in raw food it is good for weight control of dogs
- There are no artificial flavours, chemicals, preservatives, and preservatives in the raw food
- The benefits mentioned above have not been proven
- Raw meat contains very harmful bacteria encompassing E. Coli and salmonella
- Sometimes uncooked bones can lead to airway obstruction and choking in dogs
- When raw bones are swallowed by dogs it leads to bowel obstruction and intestinal perforations
- It can even lead to gastrointestinal tract
- Causes severe diarrhea
- You need to inspect the entire time your dog while he is eating raw food since it should not be swallowed by the dog
- Raw food is more expensive
It should be observed that raw food is not the only diet that can enhance your dog’s nutrition. You can even switch to dog food like Advance Dog Food Adult Weight Control with Chicken, Eukanuba Adult Daily Sensitive Digestion and Hill’s Science Diet Adult Original Advanced Fitness Canine Dry or cook your own dog food. That way you will know the ingredients that are present in the diet your dog is eating.
But if your dog is suffering from allergies or other digestive issues it is worth to give it a try to raw food. But before feeding the raw food it is essential to do the following things:
Consult with your veterinarian
Before making the transition to raw food, it is vital to discuss with with your veterinarian since he/she would be the best person to know what is best for your pooch.
Never feed bones to your dog
It is important that bones are not fed to the dog as every year there has been an increase in the number of dogs taken to emergency procedures to get rid of bones from their digestive tract. This can be a very fatal thing for smaller dogs. Hence, always avoid feeding bones to dogs.
Inspect your dog from a distance when he is eating raw diet
It is essential that you throw away any leftovers from the food that your dog has eaten. Please do not keep them in the refrigerator to feed them later. It is not worth to take the risk of making your dog sick and spending money on his health later.
Utilize stainless steel dishes
Always use stainless steel dishes and clean them properly before and after feeding your dog.
Contact other dog owners who feed raw food to their dogs
You can find a lot of dog owners who feed raw food to their dogs from the internet. Read their experiences and learn from them about how to safely feed meat and other raw stuff to your dog.
Always be on the lookout for any behaviorist changes in the dog
Dogs react differently to different types of food. Hence, it is very important to check any behavioural changes in them that occur after you feed them with the raw food diet.