Heartgard Plus for dogs is a vet recommended heartworm prevention chewable that contains the flavor of real beef. It is an effective roundworm treatment and hookworm treatment for dogs. A monthly treatment has antiparasitic and anthelmintic properties that work against mixed parasitic infections. Moreover, it treats and controls three species of hookworms and two species of roundworms.
How does it work?
Heartgard Plus contains Ivermectin and Pyrantel. It is an effective heartworm treatment for dogs that prevents heartworm disease by eliminating heartworm larvae and kills parasites by causing spastic muscle paralysis. Heartgard Plus is one of the better heartworm preventions for dogs that also treats roundworms and hookworms.
Firstly, go for a vet visit to check whether your pet has existing heartworm infection or not. If he is not infected then, start with Heartgard Plus.
Weigh your pet. Based on the weight choose the relevant pack of these tablets. Refer dosage table for details. Crumble the chewable and mixed with the pet’s food.
Keep a check on the pet. He needs to finish entire meal to intake the complete dosage of the tablet. Give to pets that are 6 weeks and older puppies and dogs.
On missing a dose, give a full dose and resume the monthly schedule. Take vet’s advice on missing the dose for two months and more.
|Weight of the dog
||Dosage per month
|Up To 11Kg
||1 chewable from Blue box
|12 To 22 Kg
||1 chewable from Green box
|23 To 45 Kg
||1 chewable from Brown box
|Over 45 Kg
||Give combination of tablets based on weight
Note:- Heartgard Plus is safe for stud dogs, pregnant, breeding and lactating dogs.
- Existing heartworm infection test is necessary before starting Heartgard Plus for dogs.
- Do not give the chewable to puppies younger than 6 weeks of age.
- Swallowing the whole tablet is not recommended.
- Administer on a monthly basis, if possible follow the date schedule.
- Although side effects are rare but may show up in hypersensitive canines. Overdosing may result in tremors, dilated pupil, weight loss and death.
- It may show adverse reactions in herding dog breeds like border collies. So, ask your vet before giving this to the collie breeds of dogs.
- Do not overdose. Follow the label instructions for details of administration, expiry date and precautions.
- Store in cool place away from direct sunlight
- Wash and sterilize your hands after administering the chewable to the pet.
- Human ingestion may prove poisonous. If such cases arise then consult a physician immediately.
Do not administer to pets with existing heartworm infection.
- This product must be administered MONTHLY to prevent heartworm infection.
- It is recommended for use all year round.
- Please seek advice from your veterinarian regarding heartworm testing PRIOR to using this product if:
- your pet is older than 8 weeks of age when you start using this product OR
- one of the monthly doses is missed or is late by more than 1 week.
Caution: Collies including Border Collies and other breeds have genetic intolerance towards Ivermectin. Those pet owners with Collies and other susceptible breeds should look for alternatives to Ivermectin for the treatment of parasites.